Yesterday one of our Scania start batteries exploded when I started the engine, which was not nice. Removing them from the ship was also not nice – they sure were heavy. Anyway, the Accu company Van Andel ran a check on the remaining batteries and we replaced most of them as their start capacity was also very much reduced (batteries were between 7 and eight years old).
The following batteries were replaced
- Main engine (Scania) start batteries: 2 times 180 ah (were 240 ah, but 180 ah is more manageable)
- Bow thruster (DAF) start batteries: 2 times 120 ah
- Lister generator start battery: 1 Redtop
The 920 ah main battery bank was seen to be in good health.